Sunday, December 27, 2009

Refreshments, anyone?

Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution.
Mixed reviews.
Many loved, some were bored.
Throughout my reading, I had my own mixed reviews. At times when the stories ensued, I had to force myself through. But other times those endless stories were redeemed, as Claiborne brought them to a whole, painting the picture of what loving God and loving people really looks like. Though the word "radical" began to turn me off, I was soon appreciative of that word, seeing what truth could come from it. Radical love and radical Christianity, really, is just true Christianity. The reason it's radical these days is because its so different from the typical love and Christianity often displayed, that which cheapens Jesus and waters down holiness.
One of the parts I most appreciated was when Claiborne brings into focus the terrifying-ness of God. Reading through I was thinking, "Why is God only all love in these pages, and not all of other things as well? He can be all of many good things - in fact He is, but where is that in this book?" So when Claiborne reached his chapter titled "Jesus Made Me Do It" and quoted The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, I melted. God is so very terrifying, but He is so very good.
The last chapter of this book was concluded nicely, in fact evenly. It made everything he said make more sense. Part of the chapter talked about how, yes, it's important to run with the new, radical ideas, but it's also important to have solid community, to have roots, to have doctrine. So Claiborne encouraged his readers to live radically but to also listen to the older, wiser generations we will most likely find in churches. It's important we have roots.
"So with every head bowed and every eye closed, let's get started."
Holla.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Radical... yep, I'd agree. This is just true Christianity. They say the same about Islam. I had a friend who came out of Islam telling me that "radical" just meant they were truly living the Koran. Anywho...Merry Christmas!